- Hulu’s subscription streaming service allows you to add up to six profiles to a single account.
- For profiles, the most common error is “We encountered an error when switching profiles” Error also occurs when only one primary profile is associated with a given subscription.
- It can also occur on all devices that support the Hulu service.
- Check for Windows updates and reinstall the Hulu app from your device and check for the latest Hulu update on Android and Google Play versions.
The problem is usually caused by the device only storing old data. Follow the instructions below to resolve it.
There can be up to six profiles associated with a single Hulu subscription account, of which the primary profile is the one associated with the primary account.
The following error occurred after I attempted to assume an AWS Identity and Access Management (IAM) role from a cross-account account:
It can be quite confusing to use the service. The most common error message for profiles is “We encountered an error when switching profiles”.
The current profile can be selected by hovering over it and choosing another.
Please note that the aforementioned profile-related error also occurs when only one primary profile is associated with a given subscription. It can also occur on all devices that support the Hulu service.
Which causes the error message “We Encountered an Error When Switching Profiles” on Hulu?
Facebook account is linked to an old Hulu account: Another case that causes this error is when the Hulu servers detect that the Facebook account you use to log in to your current account was also used for your old account. If this scenario applies, you can solve the problem by disconnecting the Facebook account from the old Hulu account.
Cached data related to Hulu: One of the most common causes of this error is a conflict between the Hulu account data currently stored in your browser. If you encounter this problem on your PC, you can resolve it by opening the streaming service in incognito mode (private window) in your preferred browser.
The easiest way to improve your game is by downloading profiles from other gamers, gaming pros, and streamers.
Suspending or blocking your account: In some cases, the error you see may be caused by some restrictions imposed by Hulu support because of a violation of their ToS. In this case, your only hope of resolving the problem is to contact Hulu support.
The conflict caused by activated devices: If your Hulu account is activated on multiple devices from locations where Hulu is not officially supported, streaming through the Hulu servers may be interrupted on the entire account. In this case, you can solve the problem by deleting all unused devices in the Manage Devices menu.
How to resolve the “We encountered an error when switching profiles” error message on Hulu?
Check for Windows updates
It is important to stay on top of Windows updates. Windows updates can help you solve a wide array of problems and errors that may occur in your system. If the error message “There was an error when switching profiles” appears, you can try installing Windows updates. You can do this by following these simple steps:
- You can access the settings by right-clicking the Start menu.
- Choosing Update and security from the Settings window will bring up the update window.
- You can check for new updates by clicking Check for updates in Windows Update.
- Following the instructions on the screen, Windows will check for updates.
- The error “Profile Change Error Occurred” should appear after installing the latest Windows updates.
Check for the latest Hulu update
- The Google Play store can be opened by clicking here.
- You can update Hulu from the menu by selecting Apps and Games – My apps and games – Hulu – Update.
- You can access Home by launching Firestick.
- The Hulu app can be found under “Your apps and games”.
- You can find more information by clicking on More Options.
- If possible, open the most recent version.
- Click Yes to update Hulu, a pop-up window will appear.
Uninstalling and reinstalling Hulu
- Your device must be uninstalled and reinstalled with Hulu.
- Once the problem has been resolved, try starting Hulu again and see if the “Profile Switching Error Occurred” issue has been resolved.
RECOMMENATION: Click here for help with Windows errors.
Frequently Asked Questions
First, you must close Hulu (and any other applications or programs running in the background) completely, and then try opening Hulu again. Then turn off your device, your modem, and your router. Then wait a few minutes and restart your device. If the "Hulu profile change error occurred" the problem persists.
Profiles are supported on all devices with the latest version of the Hulu app. If you are using a device that still has the classic Hulu app installed, you will not be able to create or use profiles.
- Go to the account icon.
- Select Profiles from the menu.
- Scroll to and select the profile you want to switch to.
Hulu has announced that users can now create multiple profiles on the company's site. Other devices will support profiles in the coming weeks, but for now, this feature is limited to Hulu.com. Each account can manage up to six individual profiles, storing each user's viewing history and watch list.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.