- Touch ID is a way to authenticate your identity on your iPhone or iPad.
- If Touch ID does not work, you will not be able to use your fingerprint to access your device or make purchases from places like the App Store.
- There are several things that must be right for Touch ID to work, and only one thing must be wrong to cause problems.
- Enabling Touch ID requires the home button to be clean and dry, and a dirty state can cause the touch sensor to fail.
- Download and install the software.
- It will scan your computer to find problems.
- The tool will then correct the issues that were discovered.
You cannot unlock your iPhone or iPad with your fingerprint, nor can you download apps from the App Store with your fingerprint when Touch ID isn’t working.
You can access your iPhone or iPad using Touch ID and make purchases from the App Store if Touch ID does not work.
Why Is My Touch Id Not Working
Fingers that have been moistened with sweat, oiled, or injured may cause problems during fingerprint registration on Touch ID. Avoid placing moist fingers on your sensor.
Touch Id Not Working Iphone 7
You might have a damaged TouchID sensor in the home button if you receive an error message when booting your device.
Ipad Fingerprint Not Working
It could be that your iPad is unlocked or iTunes and App Store are turned on. You can fix this problem by following these steps:
This error may be caused by either software or hardware. Follow these steps to fix the problem:
Here’s what you can do if Touch ID isn’t working on your iPhone or iPad after you’ve already tried setting it up.
Only one thing must be incorrect for Touch ID to cause problems, and several things must be right for it to work. To see if it works, press the ID again after each step. Start with the simplest instructions and then move on to the more complex ones.
Unable To Activate Touch Id On This Iphone
Every new iOS update may cause a variety of iPhone glitches. And a general iPhone Fix tip on this unable to activate Touch ID issue is to hard restart your iPhone. The reason it usually works is that to restart your iPhone, it will complete iOS updates and give your iPhone a fresh start. Follow these steps to hard restart your iPhone: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.
What causes the “Touch ID cannot be enabled on this iPhone” message?
When you click Add a Fingerprint on the next screen, you can add a new fingerprint.
In addition to unlocking your iOS device, you can make payments, confirm, etc. You can use Touch ID to unlock your iOS device, make payments, and confirm on popular iPhone models that predate the iPhone X. Don’t panic if you don’t have Touch ID activated on your iPhone. Several ways to regain control of your Touch ID can be found in this article if you’re experiencing trouble with it, including the “Touch ID cannot be enabled” error message.
You will be able to disable Touch ID due to the following reasons:
- The following iOS-related issues have been reported: compatibility problems, difficulties downloading and installing new iOS versions, old iOS versions.
- Having a dirty home screen can cause Touch ID to fail, since Touch ID relies on the home button being clean and dry.
- It is usually only possible to activate Touch ID with an unlocked phone or with iTunes and App Store turned off.
Find the best solution by comparing the tables below!
To fix the inability to enable Touch ID on this iPhone
Updated: May 2023
We highly recommend that you use this tool for your error. Furthermore, this tool detects and removes common computer errors, protects you from loss of files, malware, and hardware failures, and optimizes your device for maximum performance. This software will help you fix your PC problems and prevent others from happening again:
- Step 1 : Install PC Repair & Optimizer Tool (Windows 10, 8, 7, XP, Vista).
- Step 2 : Click Start Scan to find out what issues are causing PC problems.
- Step 3 : Click on Repair All to correct all issues.
Iphone Fingerprint Not Working
If the iPhone or iPad will not allow you to turn on certain features, go to Settings > Touch ID & Passcode and disable all the options that you see (the ones in red).
If a new iOS version is available, download it and install it by going to Settings > General.
Enable Touch ID in the iPhone settings
Touch ID cannot be activated by users who do not follow these steps.
- You can access your iPhone’s settings by opening the settings app.
- Activate Touch ID and Passcode by finding them and opening them.
- Password required.
- Restart your iPhone after disabling iTunes.
- The Settings app should be opened again after restarting.
- The App Store and iTunes should be turned off.
- Click Delete to delete the existing fingerprint, and then enter a new fingerprint.
- Follow the instructions to add a new area by placing your finger on the specific area.
- You will then be able to use your new fingerprint when you restart your device.
Restart your device
The simplest and most effective way to fix some problems may be to restart your iPhone. You can also try to force your iPhone to restart to get past the Apple logo.
Using an iPhone 6 or earlier model, here is how you can restart it
During the first few seconds after pressing and holding the home and power buttons, you’ll see the Apple logo appear on the screen. When the Apple logo appears, release the buttons.
Apple iPhone7 and iPhone7 Plus should be rebooted
When the Apple logo appears on the screen, press the power button and volume up button simultaneously and hold them for about 10 seconds.
For iPhone 8, 8 Plus, X, XS, XS Max, XR, you can reboot your phone by following this tutorial
- Volume up should be quickly pressed and released.
- Hold down both the volume down and power buttons at the same time after releasing the volume up button. Hold down the buttons for about 10 seconds until the Apple logo appears on the screen, and then let go.
Restore your iPhone from the factory
- Your computer should be open to iTunes.
- You can check for updates on the Help tab; if a newer version is available, click Install.
- To charge your iPhone, connect it to a PC or Mac using a USB cable.
- Here are the steps you should take if you are asked for your password or if you want to trust this computer to connect.
- Your device will be displayed.
- You will find a button that says “Restore iPhone” in the summary window.
- The latest iOS software will be installed on your device once you confirm “Restore”.
- Afterward, reattach it.
RECOMMENATION: Click here for help with Windows errors.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get rid of the problem that Touch ID cannot be activated on this iPhone?
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Find and open Touch ID and Passcode.
- Enter your password.
- Turn off the iTunes app and restart your iPhone.
- After restarting, open the Settings app again.
- Turn off iTunes and the App Store.
- This is where you can add a new fingerprint.
How do I fix a non-functioning Touch ID?
- Make sure your finger and fingerprint reader are dry and clean.
- Scan your fingerprints using the correct technology.
- Check your case and screen protector.
- Disable and enable the Touch ID feature.
- Perform a hard reset.
- Reset your network settings.
- Perform a factory reset.
How do I turn Touch ID back on?
- Make sure the Touch ID sensor and your finger are clean and dry.
- Tap Settings -> Tap ID and Password and then enter the password.
- Tap Add fingerprint and hold the device as you would normally do when touching the Touch ID sensor.
- Tap your finger on the Touch ID sensor - but do not press.
Why can’t I set my Touch ID?
Restart your device. The Touch ID problem may be temporary and can be resolved by a hard reset. Go to Settings-> tap ID and Passcode and uncheck all displayed options. Then reboot your iPhone or iPad and turn on the necessary features.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.