- Some Xbox One users report that they get the message “Your account is locked” with error code 0x80a40014 on Xbox One.
- This error prevents them from accessing their account.
- To solve this problem, Techquack has put together some solutions in this post.
- While you wait for the problem to be fixed, you can still enjoy your Xbox One by putting it in offline mode.
One Password Login
A strong password is easy to create and to remember. All you need to do is click a button to log in to websites and fill out forms securely.
Try the following solutions if you are experiencing 0x80a40014 error on Xbox One.
Resetting Xbox Password
To get back into your Xbox One account if you forget your password, you can do a few things. From the Xbox One dashboard, you can select “Account” from the “Settings” menu. You will be asked for your email address and can choose a new password from there. You can also try using the “Forgot Password” feature if it does not work.
Some users report that they get the message “Your account is locked” with error code 0x80a40014 on Xbox One. This error prevents them from accessing their account. To solve this problem, Techquack has put together some solutions in this post.
What causes the “Your account is blocked” error on Xbox
- Microsoft server issue: after researching previous cases of this problem, you may be seeing this error message due to a server-side issue that has caused entire blocks of Microsoft accounts to be blocked due to a false positive. In that case, you should acknowledge the problem and, if the problem does exist with core services, switch the console offline to use it (in single mode) until the problem is resolved by Microsoft engineers.
- Local Problem: As several affected users have confirmed, this particular problem may also be due to a locally stored cache file that causes the console operating system to believe that the current account is locked (even after the problem has been resolved). In this case, you can solve the problem by deleting the locally stored profile and turning on the device before rebooting the profile.
- Microsoft TOR violation: This particular error may also occur in cases where the Microsoft account owner has violated the TOR. In most cases, aggressive player behavior, hacking, or phishing will cause Microsoft to suspend the account without notice. If this scenario applies, the only reasonable recovery strategy would be to contact Microsoft support.
- Repeated failed login attempts: If the Microsoft account you use on your Xbox console has experienced multiple failed login attempts, Microsoft may have suspended your account for security reasons. In most cases, access will be automatically restored after 24 hours. However, if this is not the case, you should contact support to resolve the issue.
To resolve the “Your account is blocked” error on your Xbox
Make sure that the Xbox Live servers are connected to the network
It’s important to note that some accounts may be blocked by Microsoft due to server issues.
Even though it might need to be fixed locally by Epic, people have in the past been able to fix it themselves using a self-repair method.
To confirm that this is the case, visit Microsoft’s Xbox Live status site. The screenshot above shows that there are no problems with the Xbox Live servers. However, if you see a problem, it means that the problem is beyond your control.
It is still possible to play multiplayer games, stream digital content, and watch videos on your Xbox One while waiting for Microsoft to fix the server problem.
You can contact Microsoft by visiting https://beta.support.xbox.com/contact-us/contact-us and clicking on Ask a question.
For instructions on enabling offline mode, please refer to the solution below.
Use your Xbox One in offline mode
- By pressing the Xbox button on the controller, turn on the console and access the Guides menu.
- You can open the Network menu from the Guides menu by clicking on Settings – System – Settings – Network.
- Click the Network Settings menu on the left side of the screen.
- The offline mode can be activated by choosing Go offline and pressing A.
- The action can be confirmed by tapping yes when prompted.
- It will disappear once the Xbox One console is restarted, so you can play Xbox One again.
Remove the profile and perform a power-off operation
- To open the Guides menu again, turn on the console and press the Xbox button.
- Press A when you reach Settings – All Settings.
- To delete an account, select Delete Accounts in the Settings menu.
- Delete your accounts by selecting the profiles you wish to delete and then clicking the confirm button.
- Go back to your dashboard once you’ve closed this menu.
- Hold the Xbox button for as long as it takes the console to completely turn off and the LED to stop flashing.
- The shutdown process is complete after the console is turned on.
- If you are about to turn on your Xbox, you should see an Xbox animation.
Contact Xbox Support
Your Xbox error 0x80a40014 may not go away even after you delete your account and follow the power of procedure. Contact Xbox support if your account is locked.
Visit beta.support.xbox.com/contact-us, click Ask a Question and tell them that your Microsoft account has been locked for no reason.
A link to reset your password was sent to your inbox. Once you do so, your account will be unlocked. We can also help you if you cannot find your email address.
In addition to deleting your profile and performing a power cycle procedure to fix this issue, you can perform a search on your computer for “microsoft” for more information.
If you have any trouble unlocking your Xbox account, you can contact Microsoft support. Your account may have been suspended for violating Microsoft’s terms of service, even if you don’t remember doing so.
You can also perform a power-down procedure if you think your Microsoft account is locked for no apparent reason.
RECOMMENATION: Click here for help with Windows errors.
Frequently Asked Questions
To protect your account from fraud or abuse, Microsoft temporarily suspends accounts when unusual activity is detected. If you can't get a security code or if your security code isn't working, go to If you can't log in to your Microsoft account and follow the instructions under "I can't get a verification code.
To resolve problems logging in to Xbox Live on your Xbox One, perform a full system reset, also known as a power cycle, hard reset, or hardware reset. To do this, press and hold the power button for 10 seconds while the system is on. You can also perform a hard reset by going to SETTINGS, SYSTEM, and selecting NEW START.
If you have committed an action that violates the Microsoft service agreement, your account may have been suspended or, in extreme circumstances, your device may have been suspended by the Xbox Live policy enforcement team.
- Enter your cell phone number to request a security code, which will be sent to you.
- After receiving the text message, enter the security code on the site.
- Change your password to complete the unlock process.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.