- Many Windows users get the following error message when connecting a scanner, printer, or other devices to a Windows computer: You need a WIA driver to use this device.
- The error does not allow the computer to install the necessary driver for the device connected to it.
- In this article, we will look at some solutions that you can use to fix the error without much effort.
Wia Driver For Canon Scanner
Integrated TWAIN and Native applications can now be used with this driver thanks to support for ISIS/TWAIN/WIA standards.
What Is Wia
The Workforce Investment Act of 1998 (P.L. 105-220) provides job training and related services to unemployed and underemployed individuals. WIA programs are administered by the DOL, primarily through its Employment and Training Administration (ETA). State and local WIA training and employment activities are provided through a system of One-Stop Career Centers. WIA programs operate on a program year (PY) of July 1 to June 30 (e.g., FY2009 appropriations fund programs from July 1, 2009, until June 30, 2010). Although WIA authorized funding through September 30, 2003, WIA programs continue to be funded through annual appropriations.
Kodak E1000 Series Driver should be downloaded if your scanning application requires a Kodak scanner to be identified as one
Windows 11 and 10 do not support scanning with HP, Canon or other brand scanners because of WIA driver issues.
Many Windows users get the following error message when connecting a scanner, printer, or other devices to a Windows computer:
Try again once you have installed the WIA driver from the installation CD or manufacturer’s website.
Microsoft’s Windows Image Acquisition driver model, known as WIA, is available from Windows ME forward. With a WIA driver, graphics software such as Windows Scanner, Photoshop, and others can communicate with imaging hardware. The error ‘You need a WIA driver to use this device’ may appear if your WIA driver is missing, old, or incompatible on your computer. To resolve this issue, follow these instructions to install the latest WIA driver for your scanner.
Our article will look at some solutions that you can use to fix the error without a lot of effort to prevent the computer from installing the necessary driver for the device connected to it.
What causes WIA driver scanner error?
In the beginning, Microsoft offered the Windows Image Acquisition driver as part of Windows ME. This driver allowed image processing equipment such as scanners to communicate with graphics software like Windows Scanner, Photoshop, etc. The error message may appear if the WIA driver is missing, outdated, or incompatible with your computer.
WIA drivers should be installed by you if the computer cannot help. You can solve this problem in two ways if you update your WIA scanner driver after upgrading to Windows 10. An incompatible or corrupted scanner driver can sometimes cause this problem after upgrading your system to Windows 10.
You can resolve this issue by installing the correct and most recent WIA driver for your scanner.
How to resolve the “You need a WIA driver” scanner error?
Canon Wia Driver Windows 11
There will be no update to the driver for the PIXMA, MAXIFY and imageCLASS models that are supported in Windows 11: + indicates that the driver works on the initial release of Windows 11, but there will be no driver for future updates.
Wia Scanner Device Meaning
Windows Image Acquisition is a driver model and application programming interface developed by Microsoft for Windows Image Acquisition. WIA drivers are used for scanning, and WIA scanner drivers are compatible with a wide variety of applications. It is necessary to check the WIA service, uninstall or update the driver if you receive the error You need a WIA driver to use this device.
Reinstall the WIA driver
- Choose Device Manager from the right-click menu when you click the Start button.
- For Device Manager to display the Imaging Devices category, click View > Show Hidden Devices.
- Expand this category by double-clicking Visualization Devices.
- Select Uninstall Device from the right-click menu.
- Confirm the uninstall by clicking Uninstall.
- When Windows is restarted, the driver for WIA will be installed automatically.
Make sure that the Windows image acquisition service is enabled
- Then select Run from the menu that appears when you right-click the Start button.
- Then select OK and type services.msc.
- To open Windows Image Acquisition, double-click on it.
- Drop-down menu: Automatic.
- Then click Start.
- The WiA service can be stopped by clicking Stop, then restarted by clicking Start.
- The settings will be confirmed when you click Apply and the window will close once you click OK.
Updating the WIA driver
- The software for updating drivers from third parties can be downloaded and installed.
- The software should be run.
- Once all faulty drivers have been detected, wait for them to be fixed.
- Third-party drivers will now be listed, and you can repair the faulty drivers by selecting them.
- The latest drivers will be downloaded and installed once the application has been launched.
- To activate the changes, reboot your computer.
RECOMMENATION: Click here for help with Windows errors.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Go to Windows -> Settings-> Update and Security -> Troubleshooter.
- Find Hardware and Device, then click Run Troubleshooter.
- Troubleshooter will start scanning all devices on your Windows system, including your scanner, find the scanner error, and fix it automatically.
Windows Image Acquisition Service allows scanners and other imaging devices to interact with graphics software such as Photoshop. The full WIA driver error message is as follows: A WIA driver is required to use this device. Please install it from the installation CD or from the manufacturer's website and try again.
- Select the Start button, type Device Manager, and then select it from the list of results.
- Expand one of the categories to find the name of your device, then right-click (or click and hold) on it and select Update Driver Software.
- Select Automatically check for driver software updates.
- Download and install the third-party driver update program.
- Then run it in Windows.
- Click on the Scan Now button.
- If you are trying the free version, click the Update button next to the scanner driver to automatically download and install the correct driver version.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.