- Partition error is very common in Windows; it is especially common in dual systems.
- It always occurs at computer startup, followed by an error message.
- If the problem is caused by incorrect data entered into the GRUB boot loader, you can solve the problem by using a registry backup to restore the correct computer configuration.
Boot Windows From Grub Rescue
The booting process of a device can be hampered by particular errors while typing these grub rescue commands. The error is often referred to as the Grub Rescue Error. It is mainly caused by any disturbance to the Ubuntu partition or a misconfigured boot loader file. Every aspect that contributes to the error is explained in this article.
Entering Rescue Mode Grub Rescue
The process to do that is simple.
on start menu, select run and type msconfig. Once that opens select the Boot tab and in it select the Windows 8 option and click on delete and then click on OK.
I then, deleted the partition holding Windows 8 and merged it with one on the other drives. Now, this leads to en error. The Linux grub manages only the windows 8 and the windows 8 boot loader manages between windows 7 and windows 8. So, when the windows 8 partition was deleted , it corrupted the grub as well.
This lead to the error :
grub rescue> _
Grub Rescue In Ubuntu
The screenshot below shows you what the GRUB menu looks like when you press the c key. Pressing c takes you to the GRUB Rescue.
A common Windows & Ubuntu dual boot system error, No such partition indicates that your computer can’t boot. Usually, this error appears when you attempt to boot your computer but end up stuck at the boot screen.
A lot of laptops and desktops these days can cause problems with their hard drives or partitions if they are not used properly. If there is an error, you usually receive a message informing you of it. In Windows, partition errors are particularly common; dual-system problems are particularly common. An error message is always displayed upon startup of the computer.
What causes “No Search Partition – Grub Rescue”?
Insmod Normal Unknown Filesystem
error: unknown filesystem. GNU Rescue Mode…
The current boot configuration is incompatible: If the problem is caused by incorrect data entered into the GRUB boot loader, you can solve the problem by using a registry backup to restore the correct computer configuration.
Grub Rescue No Such Device
A change in the boot drive’s UUID usually results in this grub no such device error message.
The boot loader is improperly configured or corrupted: Since this problem can also be caused by misconfigured or corrupted BCD data, you should be able to solve the problem by recreating the boot configuration data from the extended command line.
How To Skip Grub Rescue Mode
To add a live CD or USB to the boot order, go to the BOOT tab, select it under the MEDIA tab, then press F6 to move it to the top, and press F10 to save and exit.
GRUB boot loader corrupted or deleted: If this error occurs due to corrupted data associated with the GRUP boot loader, or after you have inadvertently deleted the associated data, you can resolve the problem by manually reconfiguring the utility to boot with the correct files.
How to solve the “No Partition Search – Grub Rescue” problem?
Ubuntu(Linux) – GPT – UEFI are common victims of this problem.
Perform a Clean Windows 10 installation
- Click here to access the official download page for the media creation tool.
- Make sure the USB flash drive has a capacity of at least 4GB.
- You will be prompted to accept the license terms when you run the media creation tool.
- Install Windows on another PC by creating a USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file.
- By selecting a language, architecture, and edition, you can proceed to the next step.
- By clicking Next, you will be asked to select the USB storage medium.
- Copy the installation files to the USB flash drive as soon as the Media Builder downloads the installation files.
- Reboot the PC once the process is complete.
- Download the installation file to your PC and connect the USB flash drive.
- The new Windows installation instructions can be found here.
Reset your BIOS settings
- You should restart your computer after you have turned it off.
- In order to bring up the system screen, press “F2” repeatedly.
- Exit menu tab is accessible by right-clicking your keyboard.
- Now press the “down” arrow and navigate to the “Load Optimized Defaults” option.
- Press Enter to load optimized defaults.
Restore BCD using Windows 10 Auto Repair
- The Windows 10 bootable media (DVD or USB drive) must be connected to your computer in order to boot from it.
- The “Auto Repair” mode will be activated when you reboot your computer.
- The BCD files will run if you choose Command Prompt in the Advanced Options window.
- Press the “Enter” key after entering each command in sequence in the CMD window:
Fix the boot by running bootrec/fixboot
Rebuild your bootcamp disc with bootrec/rebuildbcd
- You should restart your computer when you have finished using the command line.
RECOMMENATION: Click here for help with Windows errors.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Know your root partition. Boot from a CD, DVD, or USB drive.
- Mount the root partition.
- Remove the Grub 2 packages.
- Reinstall the grub packages.
- Unmount the partition.
In most cases, grub rescue no such partition error occurs in Windows 10 after deleting or formatting a Ubuntu partition, which corrupts the MBR boot sector and boot sector code files and eventually fails to boot Windows 10. In this case, you can try to recreate the MBR and restore the BCD files to solve the problem.
Boot your system into rescue mode by pressing the ctrl + x key combination. Continue and press the ENTER key on your keyboard to enter rescue mode. From there you can perform operations such as changing your user password.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.