- If you get the “invalid storage configuration” error message in the Steam client, don’t worry.
- In this article, we’ve compiled all the possible solutions that will allow you to easily resolve this error.
- We also listed the reasons that can cause this error, so you can take a look at them to better understand why it happens in the first place.
Steam Invalid Depot Configuration
When installing a game in Steam, you might receive an error message stating that the depot configuration is invalid. MiniTool Partition Wizard provides some straightforward solutions that may help you fix the problem.
Steam Depot Cache
Your computer may take up valuable space storing excess, temporary data stored by Steam DepotCache. The easiest way to erase this data is to download AppCleaner. It’s free, about 1MB in size, and you can use it portable as well. In addition to storing passwords and browsing history, AppCleaner may also store private data in the registry or on the file system.
By using binary deltas, SteamPipe only changes the modified portions of existing content files when it patches them. With this method, only deltas need to be sent when the content is updated. It is therefore possible for partners to patch builds on private branches more efficiently without using a SteamPipe Local Content Server. Thus, developer and user transfers are shorter and faster.
We’ve compiled all possible solutions to resolve the “Invalid Storage Location Configuration” Steam client error. You don’t have to worry, we’ve compiled them all here for you.
There has been no new problem with this game since Steam updated a while back. As english said, this isn’t a new problem at all.
Steam can be found in the menu bar. Please check if your Steam Client has been updated. Consult the help section and then continue with About Steam. The Steam packaging version must be at least 1373418487. Otherwise, you will have to install the updates. To solve this problem, you must clear your DNS cache and disable your antivirus program.
For a better understanding of why this error occurs, we have also listed the reasons why it can occur.
What causes an “invalid storage configuration”?
- Problems with authorization
- Domain name is broken
- It is out of date to use Steam
- It is now possible to load the Steam client.
How to fix the “Invalid Storage Configuration” problem?
You will need to reinstall Steam
- Press Windows + R to open the Run utility.
- Click OK after typing appwiz.cpl.
- After selecting Steam, click Edit/Remove.
- Steam can be uninstalled following the instructions.
- Steam should be reinstalled after Windows has been restarted.
- The latest version of Steam can be downloaded from the Software Download page by clicking Install Steam.
- The Steam client can be installed on Windows by opening the Steam installer.
- A user can then switch back to the Steam folder by moving the Steamapps folder there.
Removing MountedDepots configuration
- The first thing you should do is close Steam completely.
- Then, open the SteamApps subfolder inside the Steam folder in File Explorer.
- Select a text editor (such as Notepad) from the menu that appears after right-clicking the file appmanifest_[gameid].acf.
- MountedDepots should be deleted.
- By clicking Save Settings, you can save the settings for the selected file.
- As soon as Steam starts, MountedDepots will be configured correctly.
Exiting the Steam Beta Program
- Launch Steam.
- On the program window, click the Steam menu.
- The Settings menu can be found on the menu bar.
- You can edit your Beta Participation information under the Account tab.
- If you wish to remove yourself from all beta programs, select the drop-down menu next to Beta Participation.
RECOMMENATION: Click here for help with Windows errors.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.