- The Dead by Daylight (DBD) game keeps crashing at startup or closing on your desktop when you’re in the middle of a game.
- Many players report this ‘Dead by Daylight Crashes’ problem, but the good news is that you can fix it.
- Below is a list of causes and workarounds prepared by Techquack that have proven helpful to many players.
It may be because your computer specifications are below Dead by Daylight’s system requirements that your computer crashes when you launch it for the first time.
Do you keep experiencing crashes or closings of Dead By Daylight (DBD) during gameplay?
Dead By Daylight Not Loading Into Game
It is recommended that you update your graphics driver to the latest version if Dead By Daylight is not working.
There have been many bug fixes in the new cumulative Windows 10 update, one of which fixes a problem where some PCs can crash when playing a full-screen or tablet game. You will, however, need to select the update manually in order to receive it.
It’s extremely frustrating, and you’re certainly not alone. Many players report this ‘Dead by Daylight Crashes’ problem, but the good news is that you can fix it. Below is a list of causes and workarounds prepared by Techquack that have proven helpful to many players.
Why does Dead by Daylight Crash on Windows 10?
Check out the full list of possible causes that can cause a game to crash. While there are countless reasons for a game to crash, we have provided a list of the most common ones.
Dead By Daylight Stuck On Loading Screen
A problem with Dead by Daylight’s Steam connection is one of the most common reasons for it getting stuck on the loading screen.
You can access Dead by Daylight’s properties by right-clicking it on your desktop.
Overlays: Users report that NVIDIA and Steam overlays cause instability and glitches in the game. Try disabling them while the game is running and see if the glitches stop.
Old or faulty drivers: The drivers installed on your computer are the most common culprit for this problem. You may need to update them or revert to an earlier version to resolve the crash.
Driver EasyFree Version is the best tool to update your drivers on your pc. Download it, install it, and it will scan and update them automatically.
Besides Dead by Daylight launching, freezing, or crashing errors, some users are experiencing random disconnections from the game, and others are unable to connect to a server or they won’t find any players available to play the game with. Another Dead by Daylight issue with the servers is that players can’t connect to a lobby which makes Dead by Daylight lobby issues annoying. Every time they try to join one, it fails, and they need to keep pressing the Join Lobby button a lot of times until the loading screen appears. Others have party creation failed dbd issue or even could not connect to rtm server in Dead by Daylight.
FPS Lock: The frame rate in the game cannot exceed 70 frames per second. Unlocking the frame rate by changing configuration files can also prevent the game from crashing.
No Administrator Rights: Normally, games should run without administrator rights on their executable files. However, players report that granting these permissions is a good way to deal with crashes, so feel free to give it a try.
You won’t have to start all over if you reinstall the game, but you will have your data saved to your account. In a short amount of time, a good Internet connection or a powerful PC will allow you to reinstall the game, which should resolve the error.
Missing or corrupted game files: If this is the real cause of the crash, checking the integrity of the game files will help you solve the problem quickly. This is a great Steam feature that has helped many players solve this problem.
How to fix the Dead by Daylight Crashes in Windows 10
Disable the Steam Overlay
Several Steam overlay issues have been reported by players of Dead by Daylight. If this is the case for you, please follow the guide below.
- Your computer should be running Steam.
- The LIBRARY tab can be found in the Steam window.
- Go to the list of games and right-click Dead by Daylight.
- Disable the Steam in-game overlay in the Properties window’s General tab.
Update your video card drivers
Outdated video card drivers can also cause Dead by Daylight to crash. Therefore, try to update these drivers.
- Select Device Manager from the menu.
- The taskbar Windows icon can be selected by right-clicking it.
- Make sure Device Manager is selected.
- Ensure that the Display Adapters category is expanded in the Device Manager window.
- After that, select the Uninstall Device option from the left-click menu after selecting the specified video card.
- Your changes will be confirmed once you click OK.
- Download the latest version of the video card’s drivers, if there are any, from the manufacturer’s website.
- Once the driver has been downloaded, follow the installation instructions on the screen.
- If you have completed the installation, restart your computer.
Run the game executable as an administrator.
If none of the above solutions work, try assigning administrator privileges to the executable.
- You can open the game’s file location by right-clicking its icon on your desktop.
- In the Dead by Daylight folder, you’ll find the executable file for the game.
- You can then select Properties by right-clicking the file.
- To run the program as an administrator, open the Properties window and click the “Compatibility” tab.
- Save your changes by clicking OK or Apply.
- Make sure your PC still crashes when playing Dead by Daylight.
Check the integrity of the game files
Using Steam to install the game, you can easily restore and repair any game files that are missing and corrupted. Below are instructions on how to restore and repair these files.
- Your computer should be running Steam.
- In Steam, click LIBRARY.
- Select Dead by Daylight from the list of games, and then right-click it to open its properties.
- The LOCAL FILES tab is located in the Properties window of the game.
- To check the integrity of the game files, click on the CHECK GAME FILES button.
- The game files will be checked by Steam once the process is complete.
- Afterwards, make sure the game is working properly by running it again.
Run the game in compatibility mode
The game will not freeze if you run it in compatibility mode.
- You will find the properties menu on your desktop if you right-click Dead by Daylight.
- Go to the Compatibility window in Dead by Daylight Properties.
- You can then select Windows 8 from the menu and click Run in compatibility mode.
- Your changes will be confirmed when you click OK.
- See if the crash occurs again after restarting the game.
RECOMMENATION: Click here for help with Windows errors.
Frequently Asked Questions
Dead by Daylight crashes if the game files are missing or corrupted. But don't worry about that. These files are easy to repair and fix when you install the game via Steam.
If Dying Light keeps crashing as soon as you install the game, it could be due to outdated video card drivers. If the crashing problem only occurs after updating your graphics drivers, you should update them to the latest version.
One of the reasons could be insufficient memory or a weak chipset. Applications may also crash if they are not coded correctly. Sometimes the custom skin of your Android phone can also be the cause.
Dead by Daylight crash problem occurs when a certain game file is corrupt or missing. Try checking the integrity of the game files in Steam to see if this is the cause of your problem. Go to the LOCAL FILES tab, then click CHECK GAME FILES FOR INTEGRITY.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.