- Since the May 2018 Windows 10 update, most computers that have the Windows Remote Desktop feature installed are experiencing the “RDP Authentication Error, Requested Feature Not Supported” issue.
- This is due to a recently patched vulnerability in Windows 10 and Windows 7.
The following error occurs when connecting to a remote computer via RDP since the May 2018 Windows 10 update: “RDP Authentication Error, Requested Feature Not Supported.”
What Does Authentication Problem Mean
Why does my WiFi keep saying authentication problem? This error occurs when you try to connect to a Wi-Fi network using your Android phone, but it fails to connect. You will receive a message saying “Android WiFi authentication error” whenever you attempt to connect to the network by entering the correct password. Isn’t that confusing? The password is correct, and it hasn’t changed since you entered it.
The Android Wi-Fi authentication problem manifests when you unsuccessfully try to connect to a Wi-Fi network with the correct password. Rather than connecting and saving the password as would be the norm, the device delivers a notification beneath the network label saying that it’s authenticating. However, after a short wait, you see an ‘authentication problem’ or notice the ‘authentication error’ pop up right under the network name.The first instinct as always is to make sure that the password name entered is accurate, since it among the leading causes of the WiFi authentication error. However, if you’re confident that the password is correct (especially if it’s your home wireless network and you’ve connected to it thousands of times in the past) the issue could be more complex than it seems.To help you understand what causes the Wi-Fi authentication error on Android and in an attempt to fix it all, here’s a compilation of possible solutions that you can try out.
You will not be able to save or connect to your Android phone’s network because it does not have the wi-fi authentication feature. You will, instead, see the phrase ‘authenticating’ next to the network name. Android devices will then display an error message about wifi authentication in a few seconds.
It seems to me something changed recently in Thunderbird that results in my receiving this message instead of being able to download my email:
”Sending of password for user [email protected] did not succeed. Mail server mail.dianeanddave.net responded: Authentication failed.
My Thunderbird logins are in the first attached png file.
My email server is Hostgator and my accounts are shown in the second attached png file.
I can still see my email on Hostgator webmail by logging in to CPanel and choosing the [email protected] account. Using Thunderbird’s Troubleshoot Mode provides no further information.
I need the convenience of my Thunderbird access restored.
What should be my next step?
We are unable to support the function you requested
Could Not Authenticate Connection
Often, resetting your WiFi network settings will fix a WiFi connection error or authentication problem. This can be done by forgetting the network (name) on your PC that you are having trouble connecting to.
You get this error after installing the latest updates to Windows 10 version 1709 or Windows 7 version 4103718.
Remote Desktop Protocol users should probably fix this problem as soon as possible if they allow connections to their server.
Authentication Failure Meaning
If you receive the authentication error, it means that there have been too many failed login attempts. The issue is fixed automatically by the system after 30 minutes. In addition, you can contact our Sync support team at [email protected] to have the block removed for you.
In order for clients to authenticate to RDP servers, Windows uses Credential Security Support Provider (CredSSP). CredSSP has a serious vulnerability, which could affect the security of both clients and servers.
Authentication Problem With Wifi
You need to check that your WiFi password is correct. The authentication error message is usually caused by the wrong password you entered for the network. Sometimes, you need to reset your router or settings to reset your password. If you do not know your password, you should check your router settings to see if it is correct. Here are the steps you should follow to make sure your password is correct:
By combining NLA with CredSSP, Microsoft has introduced a solution for this issue using TLS/SSL or Kerberos preauthentication for RDP client users.
It is mandatory for the NLA server connection to be enabled by Microsoft in order to securely access the remote desktop server without the necessary Windows update patch.
What causes the ‘authentication occurred – the requested feature is not supported’ error
According to our review of several user reports, this error message could be caused by several different scenarios.
- Error caused by a Windows update: There is a strong possibility that the error is caused by a Windows update released in mid-2018. The patch forces Remote Desktop Connection to ensure that both affected workstations are running the March 2018 CredSPP patch. By updating both computers with the latest updates, you ensure that they are ready to allow Remote Desktop Connection.
- Oracle Encryption recovery policy disabled: some affected users found that the local group policy was disabled in their case the culprit. If the operating system version allows it, you can probably get around the error by enabling the Oracle Encryption repair policy.
- AllowEncryptionOracle has a value of 2: there is a specific registry key (AllowEncryptionOracle) that is known to trigger this particular error message when it is not enabled. Several users experiencing the same problem have reported that after changing the registry key, the problem was resolved.
Having difficulty resolving this error message? You can find out how to fix it in this article. Authentication error encountered during the requested function is not supported error has been solved in the following ways by other users in similar situations.
Please choose whichever method appears to be most suitable for your situation out of the following methods.
Wifi Sign In To Network
Open Internet and Network Settings by right-clicking the network icon in your system tray, then click Network and Sharing Center. To use the default DNS servers, click Option an IP address automatically in the Internet Protocol Version 4 dialog box. Click your connection name (typically Wi-Fi), click Properties, then Internet Protocol Version 4.
To fix the authentication error that occurred – the requested function is not supported
Disable network-level authentication on the RDP server
Initially, you need to disable network-level authentication on the RDP server side in order to fix the “Requested feature is not supported” error. Here’s how:
- The Remote tab can be found in System Properties.
- Make sure Network-level authentication is not selected and click OK.
- Note: If the RDP server is a Windows 7 computer, select the Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure) checkbox.
- Try connecting via RDP now.
Enable the Oracle encryption patch on the RDP client
RDP authentication errors occur when the Oracle Encryption patch settings are not configured correctly on the Remote Desktop client. Here’s how to configure the Oracle Encryption patch on Remote Desktop.
When using Windows Professional:
- The Run command window can be opened by pressing Windows + R.
- Press Enter to open GPEdit.MSC.
- Go to the left pane of the Group Policy Editor and select the following:
- The computer configuration program provides administrative templates, system settings, delegation of authority, and system configuration.
- The Oracle Encryption patch settings can be found in the right pane.
- Make sure that “Enable” is selected, that “Degree of protection” is set to “Vulnerable”, and click the “Save” button.
- Connect to the server using RDP when you close the Group Policy Editor.
The following features are available in Windows Home:
- Make sure you’re logged in as an administrator by opening the command prompt.
- CMD or command prompt can be typed into the search box.
- Select Run as administrator from the right-click menu after you have run the command line results.
- Press Enter to execute the following command.
- HKLMsoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionPoliciesSystemCredSSParameters[/f] /d 2 /t AllowEncryptionOracle
- Ensure that the computer is restarted after you close the command line.
- Remote Desktop should be used after the restart of the server.
RECOMMENATION: Click here for help with Windows errors.
Frequently Asked Questions
The first way to fix the "Requested feature not supported" error in RDP is to disable network-level authentication on the RDP server side. To do this, open the System Properties and select the Remote tab.
- Adjust the remote desktop settings.
- Enable Oracle Encryption Fix.
- Edit the registry.
- Remove updates from May.
- Perform an onsite update.
If only one user is affected, try resetting the user's password and uncheck "Change password at next login".
- Go to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Template -> System -> Credential Delegation -> Oracle Encryption Removal.
- Double-click "Encryption Oracle Remediation", select "Enable" and change the security level to "Vulnerable", then click "Apply" or "Ok".
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.