- Error 0x800701B1: A non-existent device was specified.
- If you keep getting this error, you can use the error code to get help in solving the problem.
- There can be several reasons for this error.
- If you have an average PSU and many connected devices that just consume power, you should consider that your power supply may not be enough to power all the devices.
A USB 3.0 connection offers faster data transfer rates and efficient power management which may cause the error code 0x800701B1.
Help me to fix 22h2 error 0xc0000001 it showing error in blue screen… Browse other questions tagged windows10 software apps or ask your own question.
When moving files from our computers to external hard drives or USB flash drives, we often run into error code 0x800701B1. Typically, this error message comes along with the error code:
Error 0x800701B1: A non-existent device was specified causes an Unforeseen error to prevent you from copying the file. If this error occurs, you can refer to the error code for help.
You may encounter this error for several reasons. In case that is the case for you, don’t worry. Here are a few solutions that you can try, one at a time, to resolve it.
What causes the error code 0X800701B1?
Windows Cannot Install Required Files 0x800701b1
A USB 3.0 port might be able to fix the Error Code 0x800701B1 if the affected drive is connected to a USB 3.0 port.
Insufficient PSU power: If you have an average PSU and many connected devices that just consume power, you should consider that your power supply may not be enough to power all the devices. In this case, you can solve the problem by upgrading your power supply or unplugging some unimportant devices.
Incompatible driver: According to some concerned users, you can expect this error code if you are using a generic driver for an external drive that causes this error code. In this case, you can solve the problem by reinstalling the appropriate driver.
Insufficient USB 2.0 port: Depending on the type of hard drive/SSD with which this problem occurs, you may need to connect it to a USB 3.0 port to provide the necessary data transfer speed and performance.
How to repair the error code 0X800701B1?
Reset the USB flash drive driver
- The Device Manager can be accessed by right-clicking on Windows.
- Once the USB drive is expanded, right-click on it and choose expand USB serial bus controllers.
- Choose Properties and then select Drivers.
- After you have jotted down the current driver, click the Update Driver button.
- Once you have selected the Search for drives on your computer option, you will be presented with a list of all the drivers your computer includes.
- Choose any driver, except the one installed now, by clicking Next.
- The driver installation will then be completed by clicking Next.
Take control of the problem drive in the security settings
- Click the File Explorer icon on the right side of Windows.
- The USB drive can now be accessed by right clicking on the USB drive in the right pane after selecting This Computer.
- Select Properties, then Security.
- Click Edit next to the Owner entry after clicking Advanced at the bottom of the screen.
- You can then select Search Now by clicking the Advanced tab at the bottom left of the screen.
- You can edit the security settings by clicking the Edit button.
- To do this, click OK on the double-click of your user name.
- After turning on this option, apply the changes to all subordinate objects’ permission records.
Reinstalling the device drivers
- Run can be accessed by pressing Windows + R.
- You can open the Device Manager by typing “devmgmt.MSC” and pressing Enter.
- Select Remove Device from the drop-down menu in Device Manager after expanding the drive drop-down menu.
- The next time your computer reboots, Windows will switch to the universal driver after confirming that you want to remove the driver.
- Once the problem has been resolved, repeat the action that caused the error 0x800701b1.
Check the new hard disk drive
- Choosing Disk Management from the right-click menu will open the Disk Management window.
- Scan disk can now be selected from the Action menu.
- If the previous error still persists after the scan, make sure the system has been cleaned.
RECOMMENATION: Click here for help with Windows errors.
Frequently Asked Questions
The error 0X800701B1 "A non-existent device was specified" is a Windows 10 problem that indicates that the disk you are trying to access or copy does not exist. This error usually occurs when the computer cannot copy or transfer data to or from the disk.
- Open Settings.
- Click on Update and security.
- Click on Troubleshooting.
- Select the troubleshooter that corresponds to the hardware on which the problem is occurring.
- Click Run Troubleshooter.
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
- Use a different USB port.
- Remove other devices.
- Update or reinstall the hard disk drive drivers.
- Limit the size of the files to be transferred.
- Replace the external hard disk drive.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.