- Windows error code 0xC004F025 indicates a problem related to Windows activation.
- Error code 0xc004f025 appears on the screen if you do not have administrator rights when activating Windows.
- Error occurs on your computer when you try to activate Windows with an incorrect product key.
- Leftover files from the old license key may be related to the old upgrade files in your system.
In Command Prompt, SLMGR (the Software Licensing Management Tool) can cause the following error message:
Some times the SO for Microsoft’s computers can cause us to face some very frustrating problems of operation. The Redmond ones are tied to specific codes to make it easier for the users to distinguish them and eventually remove them. Today we will show you how to solve the problem of Windows 10 activation error 0xc004f025.
The error 0xC004F025 in Windows indicates a problem with Activation. Windows 10 activation errors resulting in 0xC004F025 are generally caused by the logged-in user’s account type. You need to be an Administrator to activate or rearm Windows. Please continue reading to find out why this error occurred.
Jan 14 2014 – Good afternoon. I have two 2012 domain joined servers running hyper-v. The domain is also 2012. These two hyper-v servers are replication partners. The primary server runs the virtual machines, and the secondary server hosts the virtual machines.
Windows error code 0xC004F025 indicates a problem related to Windows activation. The most common cause of Windows 10 activation error 0xC004F025 is the account type of the logged-in user. In order to activate or reactivate Windows, the logged-in user must be an administrator. There are other reasons for this error, read on.
What is the cause of Windows activation error 0xc004f025?
Permissions problems: In most cases, error code 0xc004f025 appears on the screen if you do not have administrator rights when activating Windows.
The solution does not work for me. I receive a message saying: “Error: 0xC004F025 Access denied: the requested action requires elevated privileges”. What do I need to do to get it to work?
Windows Activation can fail due to error code 0xC004F025. Activating or restarting Windows is dependent on the account type of the logged-in user, but this error can occur for many reasons. Activating or reinstalling Windows requires an Administrator to be logged in. It may be possible to solve the issue by logging into the machine, but if not, please see the other simple solutions below.
Incorrect product key: This error occurs on your computer when you try to activate Windows with an incorrect product key. If you can’t remember the authorized product key, don’t panic, as the key can be retrieved from your computer.
New hardware: If you’ve recently replaced a critical hardware component in your processor with a new one or purchased a new computer, there’s a good chance that Windows 10 error code 0xc004f025 will appear.
Leftover files from the old license key: Your operating system keeps records of dependencies associated with the Windows product key. If the dependency in your directory is associated with an old license key, you may experience a Windows error code 0xc004f025 on your computer.
How to fix Windows activation error 0xc004f025?
BSoD errors and slow response times should no longer be a problem with your PC once the fixing process is complete.
Run the activation troubleshooter
The Windows Activation Troubleshooter may be able to automatically fix the error 0xc004f025 when it results from a locally imposed license restriction.
- The Settings application’s Activation tab can be accessed by pressing Windows + R and typing ms-settings:activation.
- At the bottom of the screen, click the Troubleshoot button and go to the Activation tab.
- The first scan will begin after you launch the utility.
- Any problems discovered during activation will be suggested for repair.
- Wait for the patch to finish if you agree.
- Start your computer after you have successfully applied the patch and verify that the activation process has been successful.
Remove Rearm dependencies
You might experience this error when your operating system does not store and maintain the rearm dependencies associated with the active Windows license key, which is one of the most common reasons for it. The remaining upgrade files from the old license key may cause error 0xc004f025 when trying to apply a new Windows license key with the SLMGR utility.
- You can open the registry editor by pressing Windows + R, then typing “regedit” in the text box and hitting Enter.
- The next step is to navigate to the following location using the left pane in the registry editor:
- To skip the rearmament process, click on the SkipRearm button on the right-hand side of the screen.
- Once that is done, click the Save button to save the changes, and then, in the Edit DWORD menu associated with SkipRearm, set the data value to 1 and the base to hexadecimal.
- The registry editor should be closed after it has been successfully adjusted.
- The Run dialog box will open after pressing Windows + R together.
- Open the extended CMD prompt by typing “cmd” into the text box and pressing Ctrl, Shift, Enter.
- The administrator privileges can be granted by clicking Yes when prompted.
The command slmgr rearm should be typed and executed at the extended CMD prompt.
- If this process takes longer than 10 seconds, wait until you receive a success message.
- The following location can be found by manually accessing the File Explorer program (My Computer): C: WindowsSystem32
- You can find the file slmgr.vbs by using the search box in the upper right corner.
- Replace the .vbs extension with .old when you find it by right-clicking, selecting Rename.
- By doing this, your operating system will ignore the existing file and create a new one.
- Check that the 0xc004f025 error message still appears after you restart your computer after making the last change.
Launch CMD with administrator privileges
An activation attempt or an SLMGR operation may be blocked by permissions errors 0xc004f025 may occur.
To activate your Windows license key through SLMR, you must first ensure the command line window has administrator privileges.
- Press the Windows + R keys to open the “Run” dialog box. Open the extended CMD prompt by typing “cmd” into the text box and pressing Ctrl, Shift, Enter.
- For CMD access, click “Yes” when prompted.
- Check if error 0xc004f025 is resolved by typing the same command.
RECOMMENATION: Click here for help with Windows errors.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Using the command line.
- Run the Windows 10 activation troubleshooter.
- Check the product key.
- Perform a clean Windows installation.
- Reactivate Windows after changing hardware.
- Press the Windows key and the X shortcut key at the same time to bring up the power menu.
- From the list of options, select Run.
- In the text box, type cmd and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter together.
- When prompted, click Yes.
To solve this problem, the administrator must use the SLMGR command-line tool. The full form of SLMGR is Software Licensing Management Tool (slmgr), a Windows VBS file used for activation purposes. Open a command line with administrator privileges and run slmgr. vbs.
You need a digital license or product key to activate Windows 10. When you're ready to activate, select Open Activation in Settings. Click Change Product Key to enter the product key for Windows 10. If Windows 10 has already been activated on your device, your copy of Windows 10 should be activated automatically.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.