- Google Drive File Stream lets you easily and quickly access your cloud files right from your computer.
- You can transfer documents and other content from My Drive and Team Drive without using the online application and syncing.
- But some users have complained that Google File Stream doesn’t work on their Windows 10 PC or Mac.
- Fortunately, there are solutions to fix this common Google Drive problem.
- Read on to find out how to do it.
Google Drive Is Not Syncing With Desktop
If Google Drive isn’t syncing at your end, you can check a few things.
Stream From Google Drive
It’s not easy to get your media into the cloud, but there are a few easy ways to do it.
This synchronization application connects your desktop data directly to online Google Drive, eliminating the need to visit the site in a web browser to upload and download data. Google Drive for Desktop replaces Google Drive File Stream.
It is crucial to have easy access to your files, especially when you are swamped with work. With Google Drive File Stream, you can access your cloud files right from your computer without using an online application and synchronization. Documents and other content can be transferred from My Drive and Team Drive without using the online application and synchronization.
You need to click on the Sign in button in the bottom right of the Google Drive installer and then tell it to make sure that you downloaded it from Google. This is only a security check that you can ignore.
I have uploaded all the files to Shared with Me at. I have uploaded all the content to My Drive at. In case you are having trouble installing Google Drive File Stream, restart the computer and try again. It will automatically create a drive named Google Drive File Stream. If not, it will have two folders: My Drive, Shared Drive.
However, some users have complained that Google Drive File Stream doesn’t work or doesn’t sync on their Windows 10 PC or Mac. Fortunately, there are solutions to fix this common Google Drive problem. Read on to find out how to do it.
Why doesn’t Google Drive File Stream work?
G Drive Not Showing Up
A format has long been used as a way to fix logical issues with hard drives, both internal and external. In fact, a missing file system may cause a new hard drive not to show up. To restore the hard drive to factory settings, you should wipe it of its contents and then try formatting it to see if it becomes recognized. In the event that nothing else works, try formatting the drive.
The following are some of the most common problems users encounter when using Google Drive File Stream.
- Connection problems with the Internet.
- Application connections are being blocked by Windows Firewall.
- In the case of users using an old version of Google Drive or Google Drive File Stream that have not yet been updated to the latest version.
How to solve the situation when Google Drive File Stream does not work?
There are a few ways to resolve it. You can disable your firewall or antivirus app and try loading File Stream again. In case your antivirus application blocks the app, you can add it as an exception.
Some of the reasons for Drive file stream not working are listed below. There is no specific cause for drive file stream to not work.
Uninstall and reinstall the updated version of the Google File Stream
It is possible that the problem is caused by an older version of File Stream. We will look at the process for Windows as an example, you can follow the instructions for your operating system if you are using the older version. This can be solved by uninstalling the older version of the app.
- Make a safe backup of the main files in the “Google Flow Files” folder.
- If you don’t back up your files, you’ll lose them forever.
- Click More (three vertical dots) at the top of the Google Drive file stream.
- When you are finished, click Exit.
- Then, tap Exit to exit Google Drive.
- The Task Manager can be accessed by right-clicking the taskbar.
- You can then right-click on the Google File Stream process in the Task Manager window.
- Select the “End process” button now.
- This procedure should be repeated for each and every Google File Stream application process.
- You can now type Control Panel by pressing the Windows key.
- Once you’ve found Control Panel, click on it.
- You can then uninstall the program by clicking Uninstall in the Control Panel window.
- In the list of installed programs, click Google File Stream and select properties.
- Click Uninstall.
- The uninstall process will now proceed as instructed on the screen.
- In the search results, click Run when you have typed Run into the Windows key.
- To run the command, type the following and press enter
Google AppDataLocal %USERPROFILE%
- You can now delete (or name) the DriveFS folder by right-clicking it.
- Your system will then need to be rebooted.
- Check whether the problem has been resolved by running Google File Stream.
- From Google’s website, download Google File Stream’s official installation.
- After downloading the file, follow the steps on the screen to install it.
- You can now access Google File Stream after installing the application.
Disable another version of the Google Cloud service
Users usually use Google Backup and Sync at the same time, while Google Drive File Stream is used by businesses and schools. Google Drive File Stream can sometimes interfere with Backup and Sync because of a software bug. If this happens, you can fix it by shutting down Backup and Sync or uninstalling it.
- Ensure all processes connected to Google File Stream are stopped before exiting the app.
- Using Task Manager, terminate all running processes related to Google Backup and Sync.
- You can check if the problem has been resolved by launching Google File Stream.
Disable your antivirus program and firewall
Keeping your PC safe requires you to use your antivirus and firewall programs. The antivirus/firewall may block legitimate applications from working. For example, we’ll look at how to set up Google File Stream exceptions for a Windows PC. If you want to eliminate this possibility, either disable your antivirus/firewall or add a Google File Stream exception.
- Switch off the firewall and antivirus programs.
- You can now test File Stream to see if it works correctly.
- Set your antivirus/firewall to allow Google File Stream access.
Rename the Google Drive File Stream folder
It is also possible that Google Drive File Stream is experiencing issues due to a corrupt cache folder, which may contribute to the current Google File Stream error. The cache folder can be renamed or deleted to fix the issue.
- You can now exit Google Drive File Stream.
- For macOS, open Terminal, and for Windows, open Command Prompt.
- The following path should be entered and pressed
Google AppDataLocal %USERPROFILE%
- You can now rename (or delete) the DriveFS folder.
- Your system needs to be rebooted.
- You should now be able to run the File Stream application without any issues.
RECOMMENATION: Click here for help with Windows errors.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Disable another version of the Google Cloud service.
- Uninstall the Google File Stream application and reinstall the updated version.
- Save Google Drive File Stream files offline.
Open Google Drive and select "Download Drive File Stream for Windows" under "Settings". Select the blue "Download for Windows" button. The DriveFileStream.exe file is now under "Downloads" and can be used to install the File Stream. Run (open) the file.
- Determine where you are now.
- Unsynchronize all old files.
- Download and install Google File Stream.
- Uninstall the old version of Google Drive Sync.
- Disabling the firewall and antivirus programs.
- Checking and changing your network connection to VPN.
- Renaming the Google Drive File Stream folder.
- Updating the file stream application.
- Updating the operating system.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.