- If your Internet isn’t working and you’ve tried the troubleshooter, you get the error message “Your computer seems to be configured correctly, but the device or resource isn’t responding,” usually occurs when your computer is connected to the WLAN but cannot access the Internet.
- In order to access a page or site on the Internet, your computer needs to know which server to contact first.
The error message “Your computer seems configured correctly, but the device or resource isn’t responding,” is not uncommon if you’re having trouble connecting to the Internet. As you read this article, we have discussed some ways to solve this error message, which usually occurs when a DNS server problem prevents you from connecting to the Internet. We hope you will be able to resolve your problem by reading the rest of this article.
DNS server issues, sometimes known as internet connection issues, are uncommon. Don’t be alarmed if your network connection goes down and you receive the message that your computer appears to be properly setup but the device or resource isn’t responding. This is the problem message that shows after executing the network troubleshooter on any Windows version starting with Windows 7. It means there’s an issue with your DNS server, which is generating more troubles with your Internet connection. A multitude of software and hardware issues can cause your computer to appear to be appropriately set yet the device or resource is not responding, but there are a few workarounds you can attempt. We gathered all of the workable ways we could discover and compiled them into a single page to assist future folks who face the same situation. Continue reading to fix your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource DNS server is not responding in Windows 10.
Why should you care about Windows 10, how to switch from a public network to a private network, and what are the differences between the public and private network profiles in Windows 10? Public networks are insecure, and bad guys are all over the place. If used correctly, Windows 10 network profiles offer useful built-in protection.
What causes this error?
Your computer will usually get this error if it can’t access the Internet despite being connected to the WLAN. A page or site online usually requires your computer to know which server to contact first in order to access it.
It may be due to a number of reasons that your computer cannot access the DNS server.
Problems with the DNS cache: The DNS cache is where your computer stores information about servers. If this information is outdated or corrupt, your computer may have difficulty connecting to the server.
Network driver problems: If the network driver is out of date or corrupt, your computer may not be able to connect to the DNS server.
IPv6 settings cause conflicts: If you have IPv6 enabled on your computer, it may cause conflicts with the DNS server.
DNS server may be malfunctioning: If the DNS server is not working properly, your computer will not be able to connect to it.
Incorrect DNS address setting in the router: If the DNS address is not set correctly in the router, your computer will not be able to connect to the DNS server.
The Configured Proxy Server Is Not Responding
You can also hold a Windows key and press R, then type inetcpl.cpl and hit Enter.
Typically, if your computer is connected to the wireless network but cannot access the internet, you will get this error message. Your computer will need to understand which server you need to access first in order to find the desired content.
How do I fix the “Your computer seems to be configured correctly” error message?
Clean up your DNS configuration
In DNS, domain names are translated into machine-readable IP addresses (like 192.0.2.1) so that they are readable by humans. The IP address of the server that hosts a website will be looked up by your computer when you visit it using DNS. A DNS cache is usually automatically configured, but sometimes you may need to flush it so that your computer can fetch the latest DNS records and flush out old, invalid entries.
The DNS configuration can be flushed in Windows 10 by typing “ipconfig /flushdns”. This will force your computer to fetch new DNS records for every domain you visit by clearing the DNS cache. For further assistance, contact your ISP or check your network settings if you continue to experience problems connecting to a website after flushing the DNS cache.
Changing the DNS settings
As a result of new features and changes in Windows 10, you may need to change your DNS settings on your computer if you want to use the new version of the operating system. Here’s how:
- The Network and Sharing Center is located in the Control Panel under Network and Internet.
- Make sure that the adapter settings are changed.
- You can change the network adapter’s properties by selecting it by right-clicking.
- By clicking Properties, select TCP/IP Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).
- Put your preferred and alternate DNS server addresses in the Use the following DNS server addresses box.
- The changes will be saved when you click OK.
The process of changing DNS settings on Windows 10 is as simple as that!
Update or reset your adapter driver
Windows 10 adapter drivers can be updated or rolled back by following these steps:
- Using the Start button, right-click device manager and select it.
- The entry for your adapter can be found by expanding the Network adapters category
- You can update the driver by right-clicking the adapter and selecting Update Driver
- Select a driver update or roll back to an older version by following the prompts
- As soon as you are prompted, restart your computer.
The steps above will allow you to make sure you’re using the most compatible driver for your operating system and adapter, if you’re experiencing networking issues.
Wpad is a web proxy autodiscovery protocol used by computers and mobile phones when they connect to the internet. When these devices can locate the web proxy server on their local network, they use the wpad.txt file.
Disable proxy settings
In Windows 10, sometimes it’s necessary to disable proxy settings. If you can’t connect to the internet or if a website is blocked by your proxy, this is what you need to do. The steps below tell you how to disable proxy settings on Windows 10:
- Then use the search bar on your keyboard to find “Internet Options.” by pressing the Windows button.
- The “LAN settings” button can be found under the “Connections” tab.
- You can uncheck the checkbox if your LAN uses a proxy server.
- Your changes will be saved when you click “OK”.
Connecting to the internet and accessing websites should be no problem once the proxy settings are disabled.
Device Or Resource Dns Is Not Responding
In order to find out if your DNS server is not responding is due to antivirus software, temporarily disable it, then check to see if the problem persists. (Consult your antivirus documentation for instructions on how to disable your antivirus program.)
Run the PC Repair Tool if you are not experienced enough to use the above-mentioned methods.
The following tools can be used to repair various Windows errors:
Change power settings
- You can find the Settings menu under the Start Menu.
- Select “System”.
- The power and sleep menu can be found on the left.
- Your computer’s sleep duration can be adjusted under “Sleep”.
- When it comes to sleep mode, you can disable it completely by selecting “Never”.
- Your screen can be set to remain on for as long as you want before going to sleep under “Screen”.
- The power button can also be turned off or its function changed under “Power buttons and locks”.
- Your changes will be saved upon clicking the “Save changes” button.
You can conserve energy and improve performance by changing your power settings. The steps above should help you fix the problem ‘Your Computer Appears to be Correctly Configured’ if you’re having trouble getting your computer to go to sleep or wake up.
RECOMMENATION: Click here for help with Windows errors.
Frequently Asked Questions
A DNS server is a computer that translates domain names into IP addresses. This is necessary because computers communicate with each other using IP addresses, but humans find it easier to remember domain names (such as example.com). When you enter a domain name into your web browser, the DNS server will look up the corresponding IP address and connect you to the website.
To change your DNS settings on Windows 10, follow these steps:
- Open the Control Panel.
- Click on Network and Internet.
- Click on Network and Sharing Center.
- Click Change adapter settings.
- Right-click on the network adapter that you want to change and select Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) from the list and click the Properties button.
- Select Use the following DNS server addresses.
- Enter the preferred DNS server address and click OK.
- Click Close to save the changes.
There are four different types of proxy servers:
- HTTP proxy: This type of proxy server is used to cache websites and reduce bandwidth usage. It can also be used to bypass website blocks.
- SOCKS proxy: This type of proxy server is used for applications that require a higher level of security, such as email and instant messaging.
- SSL proxy: This type of proxy server is used to encrypt communication between the client and server.
- Reverse proxy: This type of proxy server directs traffic from the internet to a specific website or set of servers.
To disable your proxy settings on Windows 10, follow these steps:
- Press the Windows button on your keyboard, then type "Internet Options" into the search bar.
- Click on the "Connections" tab, then click "LAN settings".
- Uncheck the "Use a proxy server for your LAN" box.
- Click "OK" to save your changes.
Disabling your proxy settings should allow you to connect to the internet and access websites without any problems.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.