- While the Xbox works as a controller on Windows, many PS4 owners have problems using their Dual Shock controller.
- There are two ways to connect your PS4 controller to your computer: wirelessly (via Bluetooth) or via a USB cable.
- The problem may be related to some Bluetooth connectivity issues for Windows.
- A faulty DS4 controller driver can also cause this problem, which can be fixed by reinstalling the drivers.
Ps4 Steam Controller
The mini-USB port on the back of the controller connects it to your computer via USB cable. On the back of your PS4 controller, you will find the USB port; on the back of your computer, you will find the USB port for your computer.
In most current Windows games, the DualShock 4 connects to your PC through Microsoft’s XInput interface, which supports Xbox 360 and Xbox One controller inputs. Connecting the DualShock 4 is just the beginning of the process. Due to the fact that the DualShock 4 does not send XInput commands, a wrapper is required to make it easier for your PC to handle its inputs. The two best options are DS4Windows and Steam’s controller compatibility settings.
Xboxes work as controllers on Windows, but PS4 owners have problems connecting their Dual Shock controller to their computer using Windows. In case your computer does not recognize the PS4 controller, you can try the solutions described in this manual if you cannot play games with it wirelessly (via Bluetooth) or via a USB cable.
Why Is My Ps4 Controller Not Working
Ensure there are no loose or broken connections while you plug in the controller. If you cannot connect wirelessly, try a wired connection.
Ps4 Controller Not Connecting To Pc
Your PC must be restarted after the controller is sufficiently charged (with a battery percentage of at least 10%).
I have tried adding the controller several times, but every time it says “Installing driver for Bluetooth Peripheral Device,” the controller disconnects itself after a while. When I try to connect it again, it does the same thing. The driver is supposed to be installed by DS4Windows, right? I tried installing it several times, without restarting my computer afterwards. Would anyone be able to tell me why my DS4 refuses to work with the DS4Windows driver?
Make sure the USB port on your computer is not dirty or clogged with debris before connecting to your computer. Check the USB cable for damage and see if there is dirt in either port. Make sure you clean it with dry air if there is dirt in either port. The Steam app can also be updated on your PC and the controller can be connected.
For users whose PS4 Bluetooth controllers do not work on their PCs, it may be because Windows is experiencing Bluetooth connectivity problems. In some cases, the problem may be caused by the driver, so you may be able to get your PS4 controller recognized again by following one of the troubleshooting tips below. If you have a Bluetooth USB adapter, you may be able to fix it.
What is the reason the PS4 controller is not recognized by Windows
- Windows 10 Update: The latest Windows 10 update may be one of the culprits. The new updates may limit the use of DS4 controllers.
- Device Driver Failure: A faulty DS4 controller driver can also cause this problem, which can be fixed by reinstalling the drivers.
- Controllers disabled by DS4 Windows: DS4 Windows can also somehow accidentally disable the controller for use in Windows 10.
To solve the problem of Windows not recognizing the PS4 controller
A PS4 controller cannot be used on a PC if it is physically connected to it. Games on Windows cannot detect it directly. The PlayStation 4 controller cannot be emulated with a third-party application (which is fully supported by Windows). An Xbox 360 controller software program must be installed on your computer for these applications to work correctly.
If you were experiencing connection problems with the PS4 controller on your PC because of system driver issues, you can try connecting the PS4 controller to your PC again. If that doesn’t work, try these manual methods to fix it.
With a micro USB cable (a standard one), it is possible to connect your DualShock PS4 controller to your PC without Bluetooth.
Remove the PS4 controller from the Bluetooth devices
- You should reboot the computer once the controller’s battery power is adequate (at least 10%).
- To access the Control Panel, click the search box in Cortana and then type “Control Panel”.
- Then click the device and printer icons in the Control Panel.
- Choose Remove Device from the list and right-click on the PS4 Bluetooth controller.
- Select Yes.
Download and install DS4Windows application to fix PS4 controller driver error
- DS4Windows is available for free download.
- Extraction of the files on your hard drive can be done by opening the zip file and extracting the files.
- By double-clicking the DS4Window .exe installer, you can install the product.
- You can automate the installation of drivers by using a professional tool.
Connect your PS4 controller to DS4Windows
- To access the settings of the application you just installed, open it and click on it.
- The DS4 controller will be hidden if you check the box.
- The Controller/Driver Setting can be found in blue when you drag a corner of the window. Click on it to activate it.
- The User Account Control (UAC) pop-up will appear. Click ‘Yes’.
- In a second pop-up window, you will see an image of the controller; minimize it without closing it.
- You can manage Bluetooth devices by clicking Manage Bluetooth Devices and following the on-screen instructions.
- You can now pair your controller by clicking on it in the list.
Whenever you turn off your computer, hold the PS button down for 10 seconds to prevent this problem from happening again.
Check the controller’s function on your Windows 10 PC by using a different USB cable or port. You can charge a variety of mobile phones with the controller.
RECOMMENATION: Click here for help with Windows errors.
Frequently Asked Questions
Turn off Bluetooth. If you cannot connect your PS4 controller to your Windows computer, turn off Bluetooth on your computer, turn it back on, and try pairing with the device again. Bluetooth can be turned off in the Windows Action Center or in the Windows Settings menu.
In Windows 10, you can open the Settings app from the Start menu, select "Devices" and then "Bluetooth". The DualShock 4 will appear here as a "wireless controller" when it's in pairing mode. You can select it and click the "Pair" button to pair it with your computer.
Windows may not recognize your gamepad because there are too many devices connected to your computer. Try unplugging other devices to see if the problem persists. If you are using a USB hub, unplug your gamepad from the USB hub and plug it directly into your PC.
- On your computer, go to Bluetooth settings and turn on Bluetooth.
- Select "Find New Devices," then "Wireless Controller.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.