- Windows 10 update error 0x80240061 can be caused by several reasons, including incompatible drivers or problems with Windows Update.
- In some cases, the problem is due to a temporary problem that can be solved relatively easily by running the Windows Update diagnostic program to check for common inconsistencies that can cause updates to fail.
- You must have the latest version of Windows and the updated version of SSU on your PC before uninstalling and reinstalling the update.
The Windows 10 update error 0x80240061 may appear after you have installed Windows 10. This error is caused by driver incompatibilities.
Microsoft’s community forum reports similar problems involving this error, including incompatible drivers and Windows Update issues.
0x80240061 error is a Windows 10 Update error that you can fix by following these troubleshooting tips.
Here is a list of steps you need to follow sequentially in order to resolve Update Error 0x80240061 in Windows 10 –
What is the cause of error 0x80240061?
In the event that the error message indicates the device causing the issue, updating the Intel Management Engine Interface driver can be helpful in resolving it.
Windows Update Problem: In some cases, the problem is due to a temporary problem that can be solved relatively easily by running the Windows Update diagnostic program to check for common inconsistencies that can cause updates to fail.
Incompatible Driver: One of the most common causes of this error is the scenario where the WU component keeps trying to install the Intel Management Engine Interface driver, even though it is actually incompatible with the current hardware. In this case, you should be able to resolve the problem by hiding the incompatible driver.
WU cannot find the latest version: As some affected users report, Windows Update cannot always find the latest version available for the Intel Management Engine Interface. In this case, the problem can be solved by performing a manual installation (either with Driver and Support Assistant or by installing the driver version yourself).
How can I fix error 0x80240061?
It is possible to solve the error message by updating the Intel Management Engine interface driver.
Make sure that the Windows Update service is running
It is necessary to verify that Windows Update is working. Check the following steps to see if Windows Update is working:
- Enter services.msc in the Run window after pressing Win + R.
- Upon opening the Services window, find Windows Update and right-click on it. Either start it or re-start it if it’s already running.
Try updating Windows again after closing the Services window. If this doesn’t work, try the following method.
Run Troubleshooter when you upgrade Windows
In Windows Troubleshooter, there is a diagnostic tool that identifies and solves various issues on your computer. Follow these instructions to use Windows Update Troubleshooter:
- Select the Update and Security option in the Settings app by pressing Win + I on your keyboard.
- On the left side of the new window, click Troubleshooting. On the right side, click Run Troubleshooter for Windows Update.
The troubleshooter will attempt to fix the problem for you if problems are detected. Once the Troubleshooter has completed analyzing and resolving the problem, you can restart your PC and update your operating system.
Reinstall the latest maintenance stack update
To resolve the issue, you can reinstall Windows Update or the latest maintenance stack update.
If you are going to uninstall and reinstall the update, you must ensure that Windows is installed on your PC and the updated version is installed. Once the update is installed, you can uninstall and reinstall SSU.
As I try to run Windows Update, I receive this error. I have cleared the Windows Update cache, and I have tried installing the Intel engine, but nothing seems to work. I also tried resetting Windows, but nothing worked. I have a Veritron X498G, and I only noticed this issue after the 1803 update. Can you help me?
The last failed attempt to install the Intel Corporation driver for Intel(R) Management Engine Interface was on 25/05/2018 – Error 0x80240034
It’s possible that the error 0x80240061 is caused by the outdated Intel Management Engine Interface (IMEI). To fix this issue, update all the IMEI drivers.
Versions of Windows can be found here
- Instead of selecting Update and Security in the Settings application, select System instead. Do the same as in Fix 2 – > Step 1.
- The version of Windows on my PC is 1903. Select the About option in the left pane to display the Windows Update version.
Update your browser
- Start by searching for Control Panel on the Start menu. Click on the Control Panel link in the result list.
- You can do this by clicking the Remove Programs text in the Control Panel.
- You can view installed updates by clicking on the Show installed updates button in the next window.
- KB4565351 appears in the Microsoft Windows category of the update list that appears.
- Step 2: Click the Uninstall button next to the latest Windows update. Follow the screen instructions until the latest update has been removed.
Download and install the latest version of SSU
- Look for a Windows Update update that matches the version of Windows installed on your PC on Microsoft Update Catalog. Enter the Windows Update version in the search box and search for it there. The version highlighted in the screenshot below is for my Windows 1903 PC based on an x64 system.
- Note: Make sure you choose to update with the same version of Windows as your PC and system architecture. The x64 architecture is usually for personal computers and the ARM64 architecture for mobile devices such as tablets. To find out, right-click the icon of that computer on your desktop and select Properties. You can see the information under System -> System Type.
- The update will begin downloading and will be installed once it is complete. Click the “Open” button while it is downloading.
Clearing the temporary Windows Update cache
In addition, you can purge the temporary Windows Update cache to address the 0x80240061 error. You can do this by following these steps:
- Enter the following text in the “Run” window that opens by pressing Win + R.
SoftwareDistributionDataStore in %windir%
- After that, run Fix 1 again to restart the update service and select all files in the temporary folder. Press Ctrl +A to select all files and Shift + Del to delete all files.
Check for errors now.
Running SFC Analysis
You can restore corrupt and damaged files with SFC Scan by using a command-line tool.
- You can find the “Command Prompt” search result by clicking the Start button, typing cmd, and right-clicking it and selecting “Run as administrator.”.
- Press Enter to open a command line window. Type the following command:
sfc / scan now.
Check if the update error 0x80240061 persists after running the scanner and restarting your computer.
Start the DISM scan
If you have issues updating Windows 10 to version 1809, you may want to try the following command-line tool.
- Use administrator mode to open the command line.
- The following command is to be entered in the command prompt window:
It is possible to restore health using DISM/Online/Cleanup-Image/RestoreHealth.
You may need to reboot your computer after the DISM analysis has finished.
Update the Intel Control Engine Interface Driver
To fix Windows 10 update error 0x80240061, you will need to update the Intel Management Engine Interface driver.
- You can open Device Manager by pressing Win + X together on your keyboard.
- The Intel(R) Management Engine interface will appear in the list of devices beneath Device Manager. Right-click on the Intel(R) Management Engine interface and choose “Update Drivers.”.
- Once you select Automatically check for updated driver software on the next screen, an update will be initiated when an updated driver version is found. Restart the computer after the update is completed. The problem should now be fixed.
To fix the 0x80240061 error, you can update your PC’s BIOS. However, you need to update it cautiously. A single error can cause your computer to be unusable.
Depending on the manufacturer of your PC, you may need to consult the motherboard manual for instructions on how to update the BIOS.
Clean reinstallation of Windows
To fix the update error 0x80240061, you will need to reinstall Windows 10 on your computer if none of the above solutions work. However, if none of these solutions do work, you will need to reinstall Windows 10. Your PC will be cleaned of all data, applications, and software stored on it and will be reinstalled when a new install is performed.
RECOMMENATION: Click here for help with Windows errors.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Apply Windows 10 updates.
- Update the drivers.
- Remove the drivers and reinstall them manually.
- Run a system scan.
- Update your BIOS.
Intel Management Engine is an embedded microcontroller (embedded in some Intel chipsets) that runs a lightweight microkernel-based operating system that provides various functions and services to Intel® processor-based computer systems.
The Intel Management Engine components can be removed from your computer using the "Add or Remove Programs" feature in the Windows Control Panel. Once you find the Intel(R) Management Engine Components, click on it and do one of the following: Windows Vista/7/8: Click Uninstall.
- Click Start.
- Right-click on Computer, and then click Properties.
- In the left pane, click Device Manager.
- Double-click the System Devices category.
- Double-click the Intel Management Engine Interface.
- Click the Drivers tab.
- Check the driver version.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.